National development banks and sustainable infrastructure; the case of KfW
MetadataShow full item record
KfW was initially founded in 1948 to finance the reconstruction of war-torn Germany after World War II. The initial capital of the KfW was financed by Marshall Plan resources, provided by the US government. Additional expansions of capital have been basically funded from profits of KfW itself which reflects the efficiency with which it operates, and the high commercial, as well as developmental, quality of its loans. KfW has expanded significantly over the years, both in Germany and internationally. It has become the second largest commercial bank in Germany. Its large scale and its function as a German government instrument to implement a clear energy strategy has allowed it to play a key role in Germany to finance major energy transformation in the country and one of the most important energy transformations in Europe (known as Energie wende).[TRUNCATED]
This repository item contains a working paper from the Boston University Global Economic Governance Initiative. The Global Economic Governance Initiative (GEGI) is a research program of the Center for Finance, Law & Policy, the Frederick S. Pardee Center for the Study of the Longer-Range Future, and the Frederick S. Pardee School of Global Studies. It was founded in 2008 to advance policy-relevant knowledge about governance for financial stability, human development, and the environment.