Predictive modeling of housing instability and homelessness in the Veterans Health Administration
Montgomery, Ann Elizabeth
Fargo, Jamison D.
MetadataShow full item record
Citation (published version)Thomas Byrne, Ann Elizabeth Montgomery, Jamison D Fargo. 2019. "Predictive modeling of housing instability and homelessness in the Veterans Health Administration." HEALTH SERVICES RESEARCH, Volume 54, Issue 1, pp. 75 - 85 (11). https://doi.org/10.1111/1475-6773.13050
OBJECTIVE: To develop and test predictive models of housing instability and homelessness based on responses to a brief screening instrument administered throughout the Veterans Health Administration (VHA). DATA SOURCES/STUDY SETTING: Electronic medical record data from 5.8 million Veterans who responded to the VHA's Homelessness Screening Clinical Reminder (HSCR) between October 2012 and September 2015. STUDY DESIGN: We randomly selected 80% of Veterans in our sample to develop predictive models. We evaluated the performance of both logistic regression and random forests—a machine learning algorithm—using the remaining 20% of cases. DATA COLLECTION/EXTRACTION METHODS: Data were extracted from two sources: VHA's Corporate Data Warehouse and National Homeless Registry. PRINCIPAL FINDINGS: Performance for all models was acceptable or better. Random forests models were more sensitive in predicting housing instability and homelessness than logistic regression, but less specific in predicting housing instability. Rates of positive screens for both outcomes were highest among Veterans in the top strata of model‐predicted risk. CONCLUSIONS: Predictive models based on medical record data can identify Veterans likely to report housing instability and homelessness, making the HSCR screening process more efficient and informing new engagement strategies. Our findings have implications for similar instruments in other health care systems.
Showing items related by title, author, creator and subject.
Office of Informational Services, Boston University Medical Center; Frost, David; Gertman, Paul M.; Griffith, Roger L.; Murphy, Robert W.; Rodkey, Grant V.; Rosoff, Chester; Ryan, George M. Jr.; Wennberg, John E.; Hechtman, Herbert B. (Office of Informational Services, Boston University Medical Center, 1975-08)
Obesity and obesogenic growth are both highly heritable and modified by diet in a nonhuman primate model the African green monkey (Chlorocebus aethiops sabaeus) Schmitt, Christopher A.; Service, S. K.; Jasinska, A. J.; Dyer, T. D.; Jorgensen, M. J.; Cantor, R. M.; Weinstock, G. M.; Blangero, J.; Kaplan, J. R.; Freimer, N. B. (NATURE PUBLISHING GROUP, 2018-04-01)OBJECTIVE: In humans, the ontogeny of obesity throughout the life course and the genetics underlying it has been historically difficult to study. We compared, in a non-human primate model, the lifelong growth trajectories ...
Boston University Medical Center, School of Public Health, Health Services Department (Boston University Medical Center, School of Public Health, Health Services Department, 1991-02-28)