Associations of accelerometer-measured physical activity and sedentary time with chronic kidney disease: The Framingham Heart Study
Walker, Maura E.
Gabriel, Kelley P.
Vasan, Ramachandran S.
MetadataShow full item record
Citation (published version)Joowon Lee, Maura E Walker, Kelley P Gabriel, Ramachandran S Vasan, Vanessa Xanthakis. 2020. "Associations of accelerometer-measured physical activity and sedentary time with chronic kidney disease: The Framingham Heart Study.." PLoS One, Volume 15, Issue 6, pp. e0234825 - ?. https://doi.org/10.1371/journal.pone.0234825
BACKGROUND: Few studies examined the individual and conjoint associations of accelerometer-measured physical activity (PA) and sedentary times with the prevalence of chronic kidney disease (CKD) among older adults. METHODS: We evaluated 1,268 Framingham Offspring Study participants (mean age 69.2 years, 53.8% women) between 2011 and 2014. CKD was defined as an estimated glomerular filtration rate (eGFR) <60 ml/min/1.732 and/or urine albumin-to-creatinine ratio (UACR) ≥25/35 μg/mg (men/women). We used multivariable logistic regression models to relate time spent being sedentary and active with the odds of CKD. We then performed compositional data analysis to estimate the change in the eGFR and UACR when a fixed proportion of time in one activity behavior (among the following: moderate to vigorous physical activity [MVPA], light intensity physical activity [LIPA], and sedentary) is reallocated to another activity behavior. RESULTS: Overall, 258 participants had prevalent CKD (20.4%; 120 women). Higher total PA ([MVPA+LIPA], adjusted-odds ratio [OR] per 30 minutes/day increase, 0.86; 95% CI, 0.78-0.96) and higher LIPA (OR per 30 minutes/day increase, 0.87; 95% CI, 0.76-0.99) were associated with lower odds of CKD. Additionally, higher sedentary time (OR per 30 minutes/day increase, 1.16; 95% CI, 1.04-1.29) was associated with higher odds of CKD. Reallocating 5% of the time from LIPA to sedentary was associated with the largest predicted difference in eGFR (-1.06 ml/min/1.73m2). Reallocating 1% of time spent in MVPA to sedentary status predicted the largest difference in UACR (14.37 μg/mg). CONCLUSION: The findings suggest that increasing LIPA and maintaining MVPA at the expense of sedentary time may be associated with a lower risk of CKD in community-based older adults.
RightsCopyright: © 2020 Lee et al. This is an open access article distributed under the terms of the Creative Commons Attribution License, which permits unrestricted use, distribution, and reproduction in any medium, provided the original author and source are credited.